Possibilities to present and to make accessible all kinds of information (besides a book and the lectures). Enrich your course.
- Notifications concerning a course or a teacher are easily send to all students through the VLE (virtual learning environment, like Moodle) . Often, this stimulate the student to open Moodle on a regular basis.
- All course materials are presented to the student through a VLE (virtual learning environment, like Moodle). Teachers could change the contents of the course when necessary. In principle a hard copy of the syllabus e.d. is not available.
- All kind of relevant illustrations of the subject matter can be used (color)pictures, audi-recording, video-recordings, animations, games, etc. The multimedia material can be presented in Moodle. Copyright is often no problem in higher education..
- Extra explanations of difficult subjects or skills are presented.
- Extra background information is available (articles, websites, blogs, ….). The student will, for example, need this information when they are solving a cases-problem.
- Use the possibility of a Frequently sked Question(FAQ) section. Often, students will have the questions and standard-answer is sufficient.
Strengthen the learning process of the students.
- Students can do a progress-test to test if (s)he already reached the expected level required by the teacher.
- Often, in the classroom there is no time for extra exercises. VLE (Moodle) is used to present extra exercises with feed-back, which should be used in self-study. Sometimes small groups of students are organized to discuss their results
- Results of assignment are sent to the teacher. (S)he evaluate the result in their own time. Often a standard list to be used in the assessment, is available.(S)he send the feedback through Internet to the student. An interesting possibility for evaluation of papers and bachelor-thesis is a computer check for plagiarism.
- Student can find in Moodle additional exercises for extra training of important competences.
The student can deliver the results of an assignment of a paper at any time (how ever before the dead line), there is no need to come to the school. The teacher has a complete digital file of all assignments. Because the results of an assignment has no impact on final grade (in this example) there is no need to check all the answers. The teachers assess a small number of students solutions until she knows all important mistakes. The teacher will report these in her lecture.
- In other courses, first, the students have to check the results of three colleague’s and write down their evaluation. Student might improve their result. The teachers check the evaluation and the improvements.
- The problem solving competences are exercised with help of cases the student should solved and explained. The cases reflect important aspects of the actual working environment.
Possibility of studying at your own time, place and group
- Materials on Internet are always available. The student can use it in his/her own time and place.
Students can study (besides the F2F contacts) by him/herself with help of the assignments presented on Internet in his/her own time and place. This means there is no need for the students to come the school. They study at home, supporting through the VLE (Moodle)
- The student can follow the presentation of a teacher again through a video-recording. The students can find easily the relevant parts of the lecture she want to hear.
- Availability of a Frequently Asked Question section in the website of VLO (Moodle). For a course, but also for the student administration.
Strengthen relationships with the working field (Hospitals, health centre’s)
- Use of real special selected cases (from simple to complex, from easy to difficult theory, from 0,5 hour to 5 weeks). Cases represent the typical activities, situations and problems form the professional field.
- The competences of a student are followed during the educational career with help of a portfolio. The competences and the assessment criteria are checked with the professional field. Students are only allowed to start an Internship if they have mastered the competences to a certain level.
- Students has to do a test before entering the internship or other practical activities in the school.
Interactivity between the students and the teacher(s)
- Students join a discussion in a forum at any time he wants. The results are discussed in the classroom. The participation can be registered in an ELO(?)
- Students can be involved in assessment of a paper. For example all student have to evaluate two papers with help of an assessment checklist. The teacher will give the final scores. Sometimes the checklist is discussed and formulated during the course.
Jan Nedermeijer, October 2013
- Blended Learning Toolkit (http://blended.online.ucf.edu/effective-practices/design-delivery-principles//)
- Falkink, E., Reitzema, H., & Zeddeman, M. M. (2017, mei). Handreiking Blended learning. Hogeschool Rotterdam. Retrieved from: https://hrblendedlearning.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/hr_oeo_fit_handreiking-blended-learning_v1-2_20170506.pdf
- Judi Harris & Mark Hofer, School of Education, College of William & Mary Williamsburg, Virginia, USA, Learning Activities Types
- W. Peursen, P. van Eyl, S. Wagenaar, A. Queslati and V. Philipsen (2007) Projectverslag E-merge OP 5.7 Ontwikkeling en dissemination van een didactisch model voor blended learning (development and dissemination of a didactisch model for Blended Learning). E-merge (Dutch).
- M. Svinicki and W.J. McKeachie. (2011). McKeachies’s Teaching Tips. Wadsworth 13th edition.