When you launch the VLO stimulate the use of an VLO by the students. For this, there are several possibilities.
- Solve all possible problems with the software and hardware.
There should be no unnecessary problems like: the students cannot use a computer, the communication in the institute should work properly. Often the introduction of the VLO failed because of all kind of technical problems: they have to be solved before.
- Combine activities in the VLE with the F2F-education and Self study activities.
- Enable the students to learn how to profit using the VLO.
- Students should experience clear benefits of using the VLO.
For example announcements form the teacher will be given through the VLO. The students can easily see if there are no lessons, if there are new assignments, if there is new contents uploaded in the VLO, etc.
And then during your course:
- Give the VLO a fixed moment in your lessons. So students understand that using the VLO is necessary to be able to follow the lessons. For example finish the assignments, reading articles or chapters in a book or in a website
- Regulate the use of the VLO in time. Do not plan too less and or too much time for the VLO-activities and be clear about the objectives of using the VLO.
- Make effective use of possible deadlines in the VLO to organize the learning and working process of the students.
For example: the students have to hand in their products before a fixed time.
- Work with a pleasant and (standard) organized VLO. Standard means that that lay out and the separate elements of the VLO are used in all courses in the same way.
- Address the students personally, if possible.
- Be clear about the function of Internet in the course.
For example, should the students study all the new information and all exercises ?
- Embed the VLO in supporting the self-study activities and the activities focussed on cooperation and exchanging information between the students and between teacher en students.
- Follow the rules for effective use of a discussion forum.
For example you need a moderator, students are not used to give a reaction in the discussion forum
- Use the possibilities of presenting authentic tasks and examples in the VLO by using multimedia..
- Apply the possibilities of testing with fast feedback in the VLO.
- Give the VLO a role in the assessment of students.
For example use examples of test-questions so students learn what the teachers expect form them and know if they understand the contents to the right level.
- Inform the students through the VLO about their study progress.
- W. Peursen, P. van Eyl, S. Wagenaar, A. Queslati and V. Philipsen (2007) Projectverslag E-merge OP 5.7 Ontwikkeling en dissemination van een didactisch model voor blended learning (development and dissemination of a didactisch model for Blended Learning). E-merge (Dutch).
- M. Svinicki and W.J. McKeachie. (2011) McKeachies’s Teaching Tips. Wadsworth 13th edition.
- Blended Learning Toolkit (http://blended.online.ucf.edu/effective-practices/design-delivery-principles//)