A nice overview can be found in the Moodle documents.Click here for the text version Moodle 4.2.
There are three group modes
- No groups – There are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community
- Separate groups – Each group can only see their own group, others are invisible.
- Visible groups – Each group works in their own group, but can also see other groups. (The other groups’ work is read-only.)
You can arrange groups at the Home level.
- Go to the Home page.
- Click on Site administration
- Click courses
- Click on course default settings
- Indicate your wishes in the items Group mode and Force
You can arrange groups in a course:
- Open the course.
- Click settings.
- Indicate you want to work with groups and also which type (visible or separate).
Then create a group:
- Click the ‘Create group’ button in Administration> Course administration > Users > Groups
- Add a group name and optional description (displayed above the list of group members on the participants page), enrolment key and picture (displayed on the participants page and next to forum posts)
- Click the ‘Save changes’ button
- Select the group to which you want to add participants, then click the ‘Add/remove users button
- In the “Potential members” list, select the users you want to add to the group. Multiple users may be selected using the Crtl key.
- Click the Add button to add the users to the group
In the Moodle documents more information is given how to handle groups and users.